Monday, September 15, 2008

The One Where I Get Approached by a Psychic

I have discovered even more places walking around the streets of London. During these discoveries I learned that the Circle Line on London's Underground tube network does indeed go in a circular track. Besides that, after our first class, I walked all the way to Regent's Park. It was nice to be among trees again like I would in the suburbs. I even jogged there the next day as I still don't have a gym membership yet.

In one afternoon, I managed to go from shops at Covent Gardens to Leichester Square (entertainment center where the movie premieres, cinemas and clubs are) to Chinatown.

As I was walking, a couple guys around my age pass by me, check me out and say, "That's an American! Damn!" It's kind of weird because I do everything in my power to dress stylishly like a Londoner. Also:
a) I didn't have a map in my hand
b) I didn't look lost,
c) they had never heard me talk.
What is it about me that tips people off to think I'm an American?

Another afternoon I went from Piccadilly Circus (London's answer to Times Square) to the Savile Row (famous for high-end men's suits) to the only Abercrombie & Fitch international flagship store in London (that was massively huge by the way and WAY overpriced) where I got a picture with an Abercrombie model. I went by the Mayfair district and while I was there this happened:

I wanted to go to a cafe to chill. The Starbucks nearby seemed too tiny so I walked into one called Cafe Nero. As I walk in, an old man with long black hair tied into a turban comes up to me and says:
"You have a great forehead! You are a very lucky girl! What is your name?"
Me: "Farida"
Him: " From your forehead I can tell that you are a very ambitious, cautious and hard-working girl."
He said some other stuff but I can't remember other than that they were dead-on with my personality. He then says,
"You will have three good newses be told to you the next month."
He goes on to tell me that he is a Yogi from Kashmir and shows me an aged black and white of himself when he was 12. He says that he is a psychic.
"Your forehead shows that you have two stresses in your life at the moment: your career and your relationships. Is this true?"
"I guess so." I wasn't totally getting along with my flatmates the night before so I thought he could have been right.
"You have two bad habits that if changed can help fix these. I want to hear from you after these have been done. I would need your e-mail."
I wasn't sure about the whole e-mailing business.
He then says, "I will tell you your bad habits after I go to the washroom."

I didn't know if it was some cult or what. As he was talking to me I clutched my purse tightly. It could have been one of those scenarios where a stranger is talking to you to distract you and then his little friend comes from behind and steals your stuff. Whatever. I was alone and with my map in hand clearly a tourist. I felt like I was in danger, so as soon as he left for the bathroom, I booked it. I just completely left.
On the street, he and his little partner were outside the cafe yelling, "Farida!" Farida!"
I guess I'll never know my bad habits. Maybe they could be running away from stuff.

Cheers!
Farida

1 comment:

Charmanda said...

lololol.
That story is too funny. I don't blame you for booking it I would have too! WEIRD! lol.
MISS YOU!