Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The One Where I Get a Piggy-Back Ride From a Mailman

It's funny how here they start marketing Christmas RIGHT after Halloween. Well I guess it makes sense since they don't celebrate Thanksgiving here, I mean why celebrate a holiday marking thanks for leaving England on the Mayflower and partying with Indians?

Here's a dialogue I had in my head once:
Does every country have an Independence Day?
US has one on 4th of July, Pakistan has one on August 14th (my birthday...coincidence?) but what about the UK? No... who would they have been granted from?

Well, actually was right in my thinking. There is a national holiday to celebrate the UK, it happened last week on November 5th and its called Guy Fawkes' Day. Guy Fawkes tried to blow up the Parliament and failed or something. Now they have fireworks just like 4th of July!

I spent Saturday back at Harrods really discovering all 5 floors. It was amazing! The Way-In Trend section on the 4th floor was my favorite (anyone who knows me will agree) as it was decorated like a nightclub, played house music in the background and carried 7 for all Mankind Jeans, True Religions, Rock & Republic, e.vil and Juicy Couture.

I just landed another internship-type of thing with an entertainment public relations company called Peter Noble PR! I was trying to find my way there. The address was 1 Mercer Mews. Google pointed me to what I thought was Mercer Road. But when I got to that spot, the numbers were starting at #131.

I was confused as #1 is a small number. So I walk all the way to the opposite end of the street. The #1 there was a house. I ring the doorbell. Nothing. I walk across the street to the Virgin Active gym and ask them where the PR place was. Nothing. Mind you, it has been raining the whole time and now is a torrential rainfall, COMPLETELY drenching me.

I walk back to #131 of the street. As I am doing this, I'm asking everyone where Mercer Mews is and no one knows. There then is a mailman who knew exactly where Peter Noble PR was and told me a "Mew" is a little side road of a main street. Hey, to me a "Mew" is the sound a kitten makes, okay?

He leads me to a narrow cobblestone road I would have never noticed. But it is completely flooded. I'm like, "Um..." as I look down at my swede black boots. He gets in-front of me and says "Get on!" and gives me a piggy-back ride across the "river".

Awwww... how cute, no?

I saw the new James Bond 007 movie, Quantum of Solace on Sunday (It came out here 2 weeks before the US.) Not that great, but it was cool to see a movie in theatres here. The cost was about the same as an American one with the student discount and the new exchange rate. (it's now nearly $1.50 to a pound!) In true Farida-fashion, I fell asleep during some of the middle.

I just "applied" for graduation today. I don't wanna grow up! I don't wanna go to the real world and work. I don't wanna leave my friends. Keep me in college forever!

This weekend I am going to the REAL Glastonbury, bitches. Not my hometown, but Glastonbury England in Somerset County (maybe that's where Somerset Square gets its name?)
A few weeks from now I'm going to Dublin! My goal (don't laugh) is to buy a claddagh ring.

Cheers!
Farida

1 comment:

Victoria said...

Farida,

You are invited to dinner, next weds eve, to thank CSV volunteer campaigners.

A table for 15 at Rasa W1 for 8pm next Weds.

The restaurant is here and their website is www.rasarestaurants.com should you wish to whet your appetite…

Let me know if you can make it.

Victoria
020 7812 0037
vsilver@csv.org.uk