Thursday, November 27, 2008

The One Where Thanksgiving slips past by me.

Last night I went to a dinner held for the people who worked on the "Make A Difference Day" campaign for CSV. It was more fun that imagined it would be!

The whole time all the British people (around my age) were so fascinated by me! They were all asking me questions like:
"Is high school really like Saved by the Bell and One Tree Hill?"
"Were you one of the popular kids in high school?"
"What's the difference between a fraternity and sorority?"

At one point they had me listing all 50 states of the US on top of my head. I got through about 40.
I was also teaching them how to play beer pong and flip cup and I promised to buy some red plastic cups (you can't find them ANYWHERE in the UK!) for one of the guys!

All the girls and the guys were really warm and friendly, and of course their accents sounded amazing! I had never met alot of them before, and next Wednesday will be my last day at CSV anyway but it was a fun night nonetheless.

Speaking of British comments about my American-self, on the same day, I got a comment that I have "American teeth"... haha I love you Victoria! What she meant was that my teeth are straight!

This past weekend I went to Westfield London, the new huge mall built recently and it has an UGG Australia store. I don't think I've even been to an Ugg boots store in the US but the weirdest thing happened.

There was a bouncer-security guard sort-of guy and a velvet rope. He wouldn't let me just walk in. I had to wait in a line outside of the store (red carpet-style) until a group of shoppers in the store left, and then he'd let me in. They had to do this so the store wouldn't get overcrowded, weird.

Today, I felt homesick and decided I wanted to window-shop at Hollister. There's one in the UK at a mall called Brent Cross which is in the outskirts of London. It took me about an hour to get there by bus one way, but it was worth it, as the store was so similar to the one in the US that I walked out of the store thinking that I was at Buckland Hills. It was pretty much the same Hollster just with British accents and pound signs (making the clothes ALOT more expensive!)

As I was on the double-decker bus coming back from Brent Cross, I was eating my cold pasta salad "take-away" that I bought from Boots for dinner, and then I realized, "Wow, I guess this is my Thanksgiving dinner!" Rather than thinking it was pathetic I was sitting by myself on an empty double-decker bus while driving through the cold night around northern London, I actually found it extremely comical and very London-esque of myself!

Cheers!
Farida

No comments: