Sunday, October 26, 2008

The One Where I Get A Taste of British Countryside

Well... this weekend I got invited to a pub near Brighton far away from the city in a remote village. The place was your typical old-style pub, really quaint and cute, with a living space upstairs with bedrooms and stuff. The place was freezing though as they never turn the heat on! The village looked straight out of a movie!

It was cool being the only American around all British people for a night and really getting to hear about all the pop culture they talk about. Of course though, I couldn't understand alot of what they were saying as they were all talking collectively really fast in their accents and one of the guys had a thick Scottish accent. It was funny because of that, I was tuning them out and just sitting there. I then got bored and started dozing off and falling asleep...

Well what do you expect when one stays up until 5 am the night before to write a huge essay and wakes up at 7:30 am to hand it in? This on top of averaging 5 hours of sleep every night that week?

...It also doesn't help that I was wearing a hot pink satin strapless dress with black tights and heels at this pub while dozing off. Hey! In my defense, no one told me where we were going, I thought it was some fancy dinner, haha.

What I have noticed about Autumn (Fall to us Americans) in Great Britain.

- The leaves go from green to yellow then brown. Not spectacular compared to back home in New England where right now the leaves have gone from green to yellow and are now orange/red :(
- There aren't really any Halloween decorations anywhere. No Jack O'Lanterns, scarecrows, candy corn (I LOVE candy corn!) or anything much Halloween related as they have JUST started to embrace the "American" holiday. They don't even serve pumpkin spiced lattes at Starbucks or Hot Apple Cider there! (I also LOVE Hot Apple Cider from Starbucks every Fall. haha)

Well, I'm pulling an all-nighter and staying up until 5 am to catch my flight to Madrid, Spain for our mid-semester break this week! I'm so excited! I still need to pack as we have less than three hours to leave!

Cheers!
Farida

No comments: