Friday, October 17, 2008

The One Where We Teach British Blokes How to Play Beer Pong

SO MUCH has happened in the last week I don't even know where to begin!

Last night, our flatmate Katie had a British friend John who brought over a bunch of his other British (and Portuguese) guy friends for a huge dinner at our flat. This was exactly what I needed after not being around too many British people (not to mention British guys) yet. They were so much fun, I mean a total blast! They didn't know the old American drinking game tradition of beer pong, so we set up a make-shift table and manged to get a ping-pong ball and party cups (it's hard to find these things in England surprisingly) Let's just say whenever the ball would fall on the floor, there were many jokes about "Where are my balls?" coming from the Brits.

Last Saturday, half our flat had gone to places in Europe for the weekend so the rest of us girls went to Portabello Market, one of the most famous markets in London. They had everything from fruit, to cheap clothes, to antiques... it was pretty amazing how cheap everything was in a country where I cringe looking at price tags as I mentally multiply by two, and thinking "Back home, those used to be dollar signs!"

Tuesday was notable as we got to go to a taping of the UK version of "Who Wants to Be A Millionaire?" I've already been to "The Tyra Banks Show" so I already knew the protocol for being a part of a studio audience. The set looked identical to the US game show but was surprisingly very small! We had VIP status so we got to chill with the host and contestants after.

The host of the UK one is Chris Tarrant... apparently some huge deal here and he's always in the papers (a.k.a tabloids) for flirting with other girls, I totally got to talk to him and flirt with him as well, but he's waaaayy too old for my tastes! I liked being in the studios though, as the girl who got us the VIP passes works for them and was telling me all about the TV industry and stuff which I think is a possible career path for me so that got me excited.

Thursday we got to go to Kensington (a fancy culturally-rich part of London) for our Geographies of London class. We saw the Victoria & Albert Museum (very interesting and I'm not a big museum person) Natural History Museum, Science Museum and the Albert Memorial in Hyde Park all to study Victorian London.

After the gym that same day, I managed to catch the Olympics Parade as all the people from the Great Britain team in were featured. I figured this would top watching the Olympics at home last summer on TV (which I failed to do because I was so busy.) I mean what better than to see all the athletes of Great Britain parading around in the future site of the next Olympics in 2012?

...Oh and early tomorrow morning we are taking the Eurostar train to Paris for the weekend! I'm so excited!!!!!!! I've been dying to go to Paris my whole life and see the Eiffel Tower!

Cheers!
Farida

No comments: