Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The One Where I Nearly Get Run Over

One thing I have learned in London: People don't get the right of way, cars do.
Yep, that's the big difference between the US and the UK.
Friday, I was walking to class near Bloomsbury Square, when a pigeon comes into my trajectory. Yes, a pigeon.

Pigeons freak me out, no really they do. Spiders, bring them on! I'm not afraid. But pigeons? No I'd rather get hit by a double-decker bus than touch one.
As I was avoiding this pigeon, a motorcycle comes within like 2 inches of me. Whatever, no big.
Getting nearly run over/honked at by annoyed drivers as I jaywalk or prematurely cross in the crosswalk is routine in my life now.

Another thing I have learned in London:
We are all stars of a little soap-opera called the CCTV. No but seriously, Closed-circuit television records people in every public place anywhere. This is put in place instead of having the police follow your every move.
I have first hand-experience in the US on what it is like to have the police stalk you. This summer, I got a ticket for speeding, then three days later, a ticket for "failure to stop at a stop sign" These are the only two tickets I have gotten in my twenty-two years of existence.
I'm BFF's with the police.

However, the most important thing I have learned in London is how to interact with fellow British American people.
Yeah, that's right, in London I am learning more about how to interact with natives of the US. No typo.


Living such small quarters with the same people small group of people was a refresher course in life lessons such as:

- Miscommunication, although inevitable causes unnecessary drama.
- It's important to focus on the good qualities of others.
- No one (In particular, myself) is perfect, however, we all mean well (especially true of myself I have come to realize this week) and are all good people.
- We cannot focus on past events, but look at the fact that today is NOW.
- Communication is the key. If we do not articulate how we feel to the other party, problems will not be fixed ("sorted out" *Insert British accent* as the Brits would say)
- You should NEVER think to compromise who you are in-order to have other people approve of you.
- Once words leave your mouth, you no longer have ownership of them.
- There's a reason three is an odd number.

Cheers!
Farida

No comments: