Thursday, October 9, 2008

The One Where I Stand in Line for Five Hours Straight

Today I faced a dilemma. Do I attend class and meet my Geographies of London class at Trafalgar Square, or do I try to make it in line for the book signing at Piccadilly to meet my idol, Cheryl Cole and her band she's in?

I chose the latter option, much to my professors dismay.
I have never skipped a class in high school and not really anything in my past three years of college, mind you.

I figured meeting my idol, whom I traversed 3,000 miles across the Atlantic was a good enough excuse to finally rebel.

Here's how it all went down:

After waking up at 8:30 this morning to walk the 1/2 hour all the way to the center of London to go to the gym, walk the 1/2 hour all the way back, eat lunch, shower, meticulously blow dry and then straighten my hair, I finally leave the flat at 1:30 to get to Waterstone's book store in Piccadilly.

I reach there at 2:00 pm and see a ridiculous line wrapped around like two streets. I finally reach the end and ask the girl if it was the end. (I find out later she is ticket #299) The security guard comes up to me and says:

"Before I give you a ticket, you need to buy the book."
He directs me to the back entrance of the bookstore and in about 10 minutes, I come back with the book.

By then, a party of three take my would-have-been spot. It would have been ticket #300. The security guard tells me:
"There is a chance you won't get to meet the girls, but you are welcome to stay here anyway. 300 is the magic number. Sometimes they will accept more people."

I. was. crestfallen.
If only I had gotten out of bed this morning and rushed to Piccadilly Circus instead of doing my Thursday morning routine.

I wait patiently 5 hours anyway. In that time, 200 more people show up behind me, making the total line count to 500. The whole five hours I was worrying about not being able to see Cheryl and girls.

At around 7pm, the time our part of the line reached the bookstore entrance, they had just let in everyone up to ticket #300.

Then a lady comes out: "We're very sorry. It's 7:00 pm and the girls have to leave. Everyone has to go home."

Not only did I sacrifice the class tour and my relationship with my professor (who happens to be our chaperone/advisor for the whole time we're here) but I didn't even get to physically see Girls Aloud. :(

I know every could has its silver-lining, so I will say that:
1. I got to be around people who were as crazy for Cheryl and her band. A respite from having to explain who they are to other Americans.
2. Piccadilly Circus looks amazing at night.


Cheers!
Farida

1 comment:

Charmanda said...

aww farida... that blows. Hopefully you will have another chance. Who knows maybe you will run into her sometime soon...
I can't believe I only have 4 more weeks here! CRAZZYY!!!
Hope you are living it up!

I know I am ;)